Engineering Director – Bootstack
Remote, Work from Anywhere
March 30, 2022
Title: Engineering Director, Bootstack
Location: Home based – Worldwide
- We are hiring a technical director to run our fully managed private cloud services – OpenStack and Kubernetes – which we call Bootstack.
- This is a global leadership role, responsible for all technical operations in a self-contained managed infrastructure business. The team is currently at 30 FTE and growing as the business scales.
- Our managed services teams build and operate modern distributed systems on private infrastructure for customers all over the world.
- We aim to deliver the world’s best bare-metal operations with complex distributed systems.
- From OpenStack to Kubernetes, and a growing portfolio of big data and analytics solutions, you’ll oversee, grow and shape teams working with the latest technology in a fast-paced engineering environment.
- Although this is a technical leadership role, we are looking for a candidate with extensive experience of hyper-converged infrastructure on Linux, and comprehensive knowledge of the virtualisation stack, OpenStack, and Kubernetes.
- The team handles all low-level operations for our managed services customers. It works with our core engineering team, and a dedicated opscode devops team, to ensure a high level of service reliability for managed services customers, and the continuous improvement of our bare metal products.
- As an engineering director at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the teams you support: to ensure that they measure results, make improvements, do valuable work, and find career satisfaction at Canonical.
- Technical leadership is a requirement, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your teams. Strong aptitude for planning, management and operations are necessary too.
- You will have the opportunity to influence our culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams on strategy and execution.
This job is global and open to applicants in any time zone. Our senior management team works full time remote. As a member of that team, you will find it easiest to work from EMEA or Americas, but great candidates in APAC will also be considered.
What you’ll do
Manage and lead a global, distributed team of managers and engineers
Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
Carry director level engineering responsibilities for team development and performance evaluation
Carry operational responsibility for shift scheduling and rotations
Measuring and making decisions based on key performance indicators
Encouraging mentorship and training for new skills across the team
Support timely delivery of technical solutions in a variety of technology fields
Build team expertise in Ubuntu Server, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
Build team expertise in a wide and growing array of open source applications
Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
Lead professional responses to software incidents and outages, through troubleshooting, bug fixes, RCA reports
Shape the future of Canonical’s offerings to improve reliability through architecture discussions
Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders
Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
You are knowledgeable and passionate about both technology and people management
You love developing and growing healthy teams and have a track record of doing it
You display strong team leadership skills, including the ability to work with engineers and management to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes
You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring engineering managers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
You are an excellent communicator in the English language, both verbal and written
You enjoy communication with customers to help satisfy their needs
You are experienced with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
You are familiar with OpenStack, Kubernetes and other cloud platforms
Required skills and experience
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) education in a technology field
Proven track record of large-scale devops with critical services and infrastructure on bare metal, preferably on Ubuntu
Proven track record of professional experience of either software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, Java, or similar
Demonstrated commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
Technical aptitude for understanding complex distributed systems
Experience or knowledge of OpenStack, Kubernetes or Virtualization technologies
Experience with agile software development methodologies
Leadership experience, and preferably team management experience
Confidence under pressure, with proven track record of high customer focus
Preferably fluent in two languages English being primary
Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
Experience with private cloud architecture and technologies
Learning and development
Priority Pass for travel